Do Schools Need Commercial Insurance?

Just like a car, house, or business property, schools, and educational facilities need insurance. Since no two schools are exactly the same, choosing the right insurance requires identifying a school’s unique needs. Here at Cary-Wheeler & Associates Inc., we care about community school programs in Richmond, VA. This is why we’ve put together a quick Q&A guide on choosing the right policy for your school.

3 Questions to Ask When Choosing Insurance

Q. What risks is your school exposed to?

A. School risks impact the best coverage to buy. Some of the most common risks that all schools face include those relating to:

  • Breaches of duty
  • Misconduct
  • Failure to educate
  • Errors or omissions
  • Litigation
  • Bullying
  • Compliance
  • Sexual harassment
  • Sports injuries

The right insurance policy will provide coverage for all the above-mentioned risks.

Q. What are your school’s insurance requirements?

A. Almost all schools will require, at a minimum, the following types of coverage in an insurance policy:

General liability provides protection for all aspects of the school relating to coaches and athletic trainers, booster clubs, school nursing, volunteering, and PTAs. Commercial auto coverage.

Commercial property provides coverage for the school’s physical building and certain types of equipment. You’ll need this type of coverage regardless if you own or rent the school building and any of the covered equipment.

Auto-commercial coverage protects various types of transportation expenses as well as the employees driving school-owned or school-rented vehicles. Some policies also cover employees driving their own vehicles for school-related purposes.

Q. Does the school need injury insurance?

A. Yes, almost all schools need this type of coverage. With the right type of general liability coverage, there are a variety of school-related injuries commonly covered:

  • Food poisoning
  • Toxin exposure
  • Playground injuries
  • School bus accidents
  • Slip and fall incidents
  • Emergency situations

As you can see, there are many types of insurance that schools should consider. From commercial insurance to general liability coverage, having the right policy in place at the right time can be the difference between staying open and having to close a school’s doors. Contact Cary-Wheeler & Associates Inc. to learn more about school insurance options in Richmond, VA.